Have you noticed your PCB boards in LiPO Battery? There can be generally white connector attached to PCB Board. What’s this? It is JST Connector.
JST connector is a type of electrical connector that is commonly used in electronic devices, particularly in small and compact applications such as mobile phones, cameras, and laptops. JST stands for Japan Solderless Terminal, which is the company that developed and manufactures these connectors. JST connectors are known for their reliability, compact size, and ease of use, making them a popular choice for many applications. They come in various shapes and sizes, including single-row, double-row, and surface mount types, and can be used for both power and signal connections.
Why JST Connector is Sooooooo Important for LiPO Battery?
The JST connector is important for a LiPo battery because it provides a secure and reliable connection between the battery and the device it powers. The JST connector is specifically designed for LiPo batteries and is able to handle the high current and voltage levels that these batteries produce. Without a proper connector, there is a risk of the battery coming loose or the connection becoming unstable, which can result in damage to the device or even a fire hazard. A JST connector ensures a safe and efficient transfer of power from the battery to the device, making it a crucial component for any LiPo battery-powered device.
Numerous Types of JST Connectors
In general, connectors fall into two categories: wire-to-wire and wire-to-board.
SM connectors are a type of wire-to-wire connector that have become quite popular for electrical connections. The Japan Solderless Terminal is capable of handling three amperes at 250V and can fit eight 28-22 AWG wires. Additionally, it has a high force/contact pressure secure locking mechanism and features tool-less mounting on panels of various thicknesses. SM connectors are commonly used in decorative RGB LED strip lights.
SR/SH (1mm Pitch) is typical wire-to-board connctor. This 1mm pitched pin connector has a compact, low-profile design with wings on the sides. These receptacles help with disconnection without holding the wires. The housing is SH, while the header is SR.
While the shrouded SR header has a locking feature for its mating receptacle, it does not have holes that can affect vacuum gripping equipment.
SH connectors have current and voltage ratings of 1A and 50V, respectively. And they connect to 32-28 AWG wires. Also, they are compatible with SZ and SR IDC series connectors.
However, there are thousands different types of JST connectors because they are designed for different purposes and applications. Some JST connectors are designed for high current applications, while others are designed for low current applications. Some JST connectors are designed for use in harsh environments, while others are designed for use in more controlled environments. Additionally, different JST connectors have different pin configurations, sizes, and shapes, which make them suitable for different types of devices and equipment.
Therefore, you need the full specification if you’re trying to find a particular replacement part for your project. It is essential to keep in mind that each connector family has different current, voltage, and wire size ratings. Here following are 8 kinds of JST connectors which are commonly used in our daily life:
- JST XH Connector: This connector is commonly used in electronic devices and has a pitch of 2.5mm.
- JST VH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 3.96mm and is commonly used in power supply applications.
- JST SH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 1.0mm and is commonly used in high-density applications such as laptops and mobile devices.
- JST PH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 2.0mm and is commonly used in low voltage applications such as LED lighting.
- JST ZH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 1.5mm and is commonly used in small electronic devices such as cameras and GPS systems.
- JST GH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 1.25mm and is commonly used in automotive and industrial applications.
- JST EH Connector: This connector has a pitch of 2.5mm and is commonly used in high power applications such as motors and batteries.
- JST XA Connector: This connector has a pitch of 2.5mm and is commonly used in automotive and industrial applications.
|Wire Gauge Range
|-25°C to +85°C
|-40°C to +105°C
|-25°C to +85°C
|-25°C to +85°C
|-25°C to +85°C
|-25°C to +85°C
|-25°C to +85°C
|-25°C to +85°C
12 Advantages of Using JST Connectors for LiPO Battery
- Easy to use: JST connectors are easy to connect and disconnect, making them a convenient choice for connecting Lipo batteries.
- Safe: JST connectors are designed to be safe and reliable, which is especially importantwhen working with Lipo batteries. They are designed to prevent short circuits and other potential hazards.
- Lightweight: JST connectors are lightweight, which is important when working with Lipo batteries, as weight can affect the overall performance of the battery.
- Compact: JST connectors are small and compact, which makes them ideal for use in tight spaces or applications where space is limited.
- Cost-effective: JST connectors are cost-effective, making them an affordable choice for connecting Lipo batteries.
- Versatile: JST connectors come in a variety of sizes and configurations, making them versatile and suitable for a wide range of applications.
- Durable: JST connectors are made from high-quality materials, which makes them durable and able to withstand frequent use and exposure to harsh conditions.
- Easy to replace: If a JST connector becomes damaged or worn out, it is easy to replace, which can save time and money compared to replacing the entire battery. Because JST connectors are easy to install, with no soldering required. This makes them a convenient choice for DIY projects or for those who are not experienced with electronics.
- Widely available: JST connectors are a standardized type of connector, which means that they are compatible with a wide range of devices and equipment, making them a convenient choice for many different applications. So this kind of JST connector can be purchased from many different suppliers, making them easy to find and replace if necessary.
- Low resistance: JST connectors have low resistance, which means that they can transmit power efficiently and effectively, without wasting energy.
- Wide temperature range: JST connectors are designed to operate in a wide temperature range, which means that they can be used in applications where the temperature may fluctuate or vary widely.
- High current capacity: JST connectors have a high current capacity, which means that they can handle high power loads without overheating or becoming damaged.
How to Connect PCB & JST Connectors?
Connecting a JST connector to a PCB can be done in a few simple steps:
- Determine the correct type of JST connector for your application, based on the factors discussed above.
- Identify the positive (+) and negative (-) pins on the JST connector. These are usually marked on the connector housing.
- Identify the positive (+) and negative (-) pads on the PCB. These are usually marked on the PCB or can be determined from the schematic.
- Strip the insulation from the ends of the wires that will be connected to the JST connector. The length of the stripped section should be just long enough to fit into the connector housing.
- Insert the stripped wires into the appropriate pins on the JST connector, making sure to match the positive (+) and negative (-) connections.
- Use a crimping tool to crimp the pins onto the wires, making sure that the crimp is secure and the wire is tightly held.
- Insert the JST connector into the PCB, aligning the pins with the pads.
- Solder the pins to the pads on the PCB, making sure to apply heat evenly and avoid creating cold solder joints.
- Inspect the solder joints to make sure they are clean and free from defects.
- Test the connection to make sure it is secure and functioning properly.
Note: It is important to follow proper safety procedures when working with electronics and soldering. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area.
How to Choose the Right JST Connector for Your LiPO Battery?
When selecting a JST connector for your Lipo battery, there are several factors you should consider:
- Current rating: Ensure that the JST connector you choose can handle the maximum current that your Lipo battery can provide.
- Voltage rating: Ensure that the JST connector you choose can handle the maximum voltage that your Lipo battery can provide.
- Connector type: Choose the connector type that is appropriate for your specific application.
- Pin spacing: Choose the pin spacing that matches the pin spacing on your device or equipment.
- Gender: Choose the gender that matches the connector on your device or equipment.
- Housing material: Choose the housing material that is appropriate for your specific application. For example, if your application requires a connector that is resistant to high temperatures, you may need to choose a connector with a metal housing.
- Environmental factors: Consider the environmental factors that your JST connector will be exposed to, such as temperature, humidity, and vibration. Some JST connectors are designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions better than others.
- Ease of use: Choose a JST connector that is easy to use and can be connected and disconnected easily, especially if you need to replace your Lipo battery frequently.
In conclusion, JST connectors are a popular choice for connecting Lipo batteries due to their ease of use, safety, compact size, and versatility. However, it is important to choose the correct JST connector type for your specific application, taking into consideration factors such as current and voltage ratings, pin spacing, gender, housing material, environmental factors, ease of use, and availability. With the right JST connector, you can ensure a secure and reliable connection between your Lipo battery and your device or equipment.