- 1 Intro
- 2 What are 2s and 3s lipo batteries?
- 3 3S VS 2S Li-Po Battery
- 4 Other Questions:
What is “S” in 2s Li-Po battery? “S” in lipo battery stands for the number of cells in the battery pack. For example, a 3S lipo battery has three cells connected in series, while a 4S lipo battery has four cells connected in series. The number of cells determines the voltage of the battery pack. So it is easy to see that “2s and 3s” mean there are 2 lipo cells in a 2S lipo batttery and there are 3 same lipo cells in 3s lipo battery. That is the very simple definition about 2s and 3s lipo battery. So what is the differences among these lipo batteries with different “S”? Today we will tell you clearly.
What are 2s and 3s lipo batteries?
The function of battery series is to increase the overall voltage of a battery system. When batteries are connected in series, their voltages add up, creating a higher voltage output. This is useful in applications where a higher voltage is required, such as in electric vehicles or renewable energy systems. However, it is important to note that connecting batteries in series also increases the risk of overcharging and damaging the batteries, so proper monitoring and control is necessary.
Define 3s lipo batteries
3s lipo batteries are rechargeable lithium polymer batteries that consist of three cells connected in series, with a nominal voltage of 11.1 volts (3.7 volts per cell). They are commonly used in remote control vehicles, drones, and other electronic devices that require high power output. 3s lipo batteries are known for their high energy density, low weight, and compact size, making them a popular choice among hobbyists and professionals alike. They also require special care and handling, including proper storage and charging to prevent damage or fire hazards.
Benefits of using 3s lipo batteries
- High energy density: 3s lipo batteries have a high energy density, which means they can store a lot of energy in a small package. This makes them ideal for use in small devices.
- Lightweight: 3s lipo batteries are lightweight, which makes them perfect for use in drones, remote-controlled cars, and other applications where weight is a concern.
- High discharge rate: 3s lipo batteries have a high discharge rate, which means they can deliver a lot of power in a short amount of time. This makes them ideal for high-performance applications.
- Long life: 3s lipo batteries have a long life, which means they can be used for many cycles before needing to be replaced.
- Fast charging: 3s lipo batteries can be charged quickly, which means you can spend less time waiting for your batteries to charge and more time using your devices.
Where 3s lipo batteries are ideal for application
Remote control cars and airplanes, Quadcopters and drones, Power tools, Electric bicycles and scooters, Portable speakers and chargers, RC boats and submarines, Airsoft guns and paintball markers, Robotics and automation systems, Medical devices and equipment, Electric skateboards and hoverboards
Define 2s lipo batteries
2s lipo batteries are rechargeable lithium polymer batteries that consist of two cells connected in series, with a nominal voltage of 7.4 volts. They are commonly used in remote control vehicles, drones, and other electronic devices that require a high power output. The “2s” designation refers to the number of cells in the battery, with “s” standing for “series.” These batteries offer high energy density, low weight, and long cycle life, making them a popular choice for many applications.
Benefits of using 2s lipo batteries
- Increased power output: 2s lipo batteries can provide higher voltage and current output, which translates to increased power and performance for your RC vehicle or other electronic device.
- Longer run time: Due to their higher capacity, 2s lipo batteries can provide longer run times compared to lower capacity batteries.
- Lightweight: 2s lipo batteries are usually lighter than other types of batteries, making them ideal for use in RC vehicles and other applications where weight is a concern.
- Fast charging: 2s lipo batteries can be charged quickly, allowing you to spend less time waiting for your batteries to charge and more time using your device.
- High discharge rate: 2s lipo batteries have a high discharge rate, which means they can deliver power quickly and efficiently, making them ideal for high-performance applications.
There are many devices can use 2s lipo battery: Radio-controlled cars and airplanes, Quadcopters and drones, Portable electronic devices such as tablets and cameras, Electric bicycles and scooters, Remote-controlled boats and submarines, LED lights and torches, Robotics and DIY projects, Medical devices such as blood glucose meters and portable oxygen concentrators, Solar-powered systems and off-grid applications, Electric skateboards and hoverboards.
3S VS 2S Li-Po Battery
The main difference between 2s and 3s lipo battery is the number of cells they consist of parameter difference, running time difference and others. 2s lipo battery has 2 cells while 3s lipo battery has 3 cells. This difference in cell count affects various parameters of the battery such as:
- Voltage: 2s lipo battery has a nominal voltage of 7.4V (3.7V per cell) while 3s lipo battery has a nominal voltage of 11.1V (3.7V per cell). This means that the 3s battery has a higher voltage output than the 2s battery.
- Capacity: The capacity of a battery is measured in milliampere-hours (mAh). Both 2s and 3s lipo batteries can have the same capacity, but the 3s battery will have a higher energy density due to the additional cell.
- Power output: The power output of a battery is measured in watts. The 3s lipo battery will have a higher power output than the 2s battery due to the higher voltage.
- Weight: The weight of the battery will increase with additional cells. Therefore, a 3s lipo battery will generally be heavier than a 2s lipo battery.
- Compatibility: The number of cells in a lipo battery determines the voltage requirements of the device it is used in. Therefore, a device that requires a 2s lipo battery cannot be powered by a 3s lipo battery and vice versa.
2S Lipo Battery
3S Lipo Battery
Lower capacity Higher capacity
Lower power output Higher power output
Shorter run time Longer run time
Cheaper More expensive
Small RC vehicles, light-duty applications Larger RC vehicles, heavy-duty applications
Overall, the main difference between 2s and 3s lipo battery is the voltage output and the number of cells. The choice of battery depends on the specific requirements of the device or application.
2s vs 3s lipo batteries: Which one is right for you?
The choice between a 2s and 3s lipo battery depends on the requirements of your device.
A 2s lipo battery has a lower voltage and is suitable for devices that require less power, such as small drones or RC cars. It is also lighter and more compact, making it ideal for devices that need to be lightweight.
On the other hand, a 3s lipo battery has a higher voltage and is suitable for devices that need more power, such as larger drones or RC cars. It is also heavier and larger, but it can provide more power and longer flight times.
Ultimately, the choice between a 2s and 3s lipo battery depends on the specific requirements of your device and what you need it to do.
How long does a 3s Lipo battery last?
The lifespan of a 3s Lipo battery depends on several factors such as the discharge rate, the capacity of the battery, and how it’s used. Generally, a well-maintained 3s Lipo battery can last anywhere from 150 to 300 cycles before it starts to lose capacity. However, if the battery is not properly charged, discharged or stored, it can significantly reduce its lifespan. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and guidelines for charging, discharging, and storing Lipo batteries to maximize their lifespan.
Can Change 3s lipo battery into 2s lipo battery?
No, it is not possible to change a 3s lipo battery into a 2s lipo battery. The number of cells in the battery determines its voltage, and a 3s lipo battery has three cells while a 2s lipo battery has two cells. The only way to get a 2s lipo battery is to purchase one that is specifically designed and manufactured as a 2s battery.
Does 3s lipo last longer than 2s?
Generally speaking, a 3s lipo battery will have a higher voltage and capacity than a 2s lipo battery, which means it can provide more power and potentially last longer. However, the actual runtime will depend on various factors such as the type of device or application it is used for, the current draw, and the overall efficiency.
Thus for the same device and in the same discharging condition, 3s lipo battery has larger capacity, thus 3s lipo battery can last longer.
Can you run 2s and 3s LiPo together?
No, it is not recommended to run 2s and 3s LiPo batteries together as they have different voltages and capacities. Mixing batteries can cause damage to the batteries, the device they are powering, and potentially be a safety hazard. It is important to always use batteries that are of the same type, voltage, and capacity.